Sunday, November 28, 2010

WPA worked on Laredo archives. Should ARRA fund Laredo's blogs??

 

While I was polishing off a bowl of cracklin' oat bran this morning, I was reading LMT's Odie Arambula's weekly foray in Laredo's history. Interestingly (to me anyway), I read that during the Great Depression, the WPA, or Work Projects Administration provided funding so that several translators/typists could work on recording, and translating some of the city's oldest records. This was undoubtedly a good investment and probably contributed to our ability to reflect on the rich history and traditions of Laredo.

Well, this got me to thinking, yea, thinking : if today's equivalent of the WPA is the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, or ARRA, then wouldn't it make sense that it provide ample funding for Laredo's bloggers to continue to document and reflect on the fabric of our great city? I realize that if this was to happen, the lion's share of the funding would go to none other than "La Sanbe" aka LMIB. Still, hopefully, there would still be adequate funding for the other dedicated bloggers to continue their excellent work in our community.
Hear! Hear!

2 comments: