Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Two different ways of saying essentially the same thing

 
In 1923, Robert Frost published his poem "Stopping by woods on a snowy evening" (below). Half a century later, artist Robert Crumb conveyed roughly the same message with his now-famous Keep on Truckin artwork (above). What a difference a few decades make.

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
 
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
 
Robert Frost, 1923

No comments:

Post a Comment