Monday, January 17, 2011

Wade Watch: Laredo through a perrenial newcomer's prism

Wade, who loves places like the Laredo shooting range, misses the mark again.
I happened to catch the last 15 minutes of the Tom Wade show this morning. I know, I know, 15 minutes is much more than many of you can take of Tom's thinking out loud. Well, one of today's subjects (and the one I got to listen to) was, once again, about what Laredo has to offer to visitors.

Wade went on to make the point, which he has made before, that Laredo has very little to offer U.S. tourists. He did, however, allow for a few exceptions. Naturally, he started with the LEA, one of Wade's favorite places in Laredo. Next, almost begrudgingly, he went to admit that there's some birding and hunting in the area although neither is promoted much. Lastly, he correctly pointed out that "this town has a lot of history but you don't hear about it". Sounding somewhat annoyed, he challenged his listeners to think of the last historical building in town they've visited. Continuing, he mentioned that, for many, it may be San Agustine Church but claimed that people only know about it because it happens to be next to a hotel (La Posada).

Frankly, this type of insight should be taken into consideration by those seeking to promote Laredo in a positive light. I say this, not because of Wade himself, but because it helps us learn to see things from another perspective. In many ways, Wade and other like him, continue to be newcomers to our town.  As such, they offer us one more tool in assessing how our city is seen by potential visitors.

Once, a caller to his radio show asked Wade why he stayed in Laredo after he retired. On that particular day, Wade actually spoke well of Laredo. He mentioned how our town is very young and is full of opportunity. Today, such positive remarks failed to make it into his meandering monologue.

6 comments:

  1. You are on the mark with the idea that Laredo is different for newcomers. An old saying is "been here beats come here"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lived in Laredo for almost three years. The first thing that struck me was actually the lack of "good restaurants". (I am still wondering where the tomato and onions are, in what the locals call guacamole) Yes I have eaten at almost all the local restaurants and please don't bring up Danny's! The best Mexican food I have found in Laredo is Charlie's Coronas.

    But the major drawback to Laredo being a tourist destination is the language barrier. You could build the worlds best amusement park, something that would rival Disney World, and you wouldn't be able to hire enough people to run it that actually speak or understand english!! That is the difference between "The Valley" and Laredo. It is a totally ridiculous situation that everyone passes off as "the culture".

    It is almost like the George Washington Celebration has to serve as a reminder every year as to which side of the river we actually live on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate both of your comments and thanks for reading. I admit that since I am bilingual, I probably don't notice the language thing as much as someone who doesn't speak Spanish would. As far as the George Washington celebration goes, you might be aware that it was started (in 1898 by the order of the redmen) intentionally to have an American holiday to celebrate, as opposed to (or complement) the Mexican holidays Laredo has celebrated througout its history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for listening. I do like to get the feedback you have provided. Not that anyone will likely change my political beliefs, but my thoughts and ideas about Laredo and the surrounding areas are always a work in progress.

    I comment so much about the LEA in the context of "things to do, because, as far as I know the LEA has 200,000 to 300,000 visitors each year (Bucks will account for over 120k this year even with a bad economy the rest is a SWAG on my part) and no other venue, other than shopping brings that many folks to one spot in the city. I will be happy to put something ahead of the LEA when the numbers validate it.

    I know you do not listen to the whole show or that you eveb listen on a regular basis, nor would I expect that.
    However, the segment right before you tuned in I was addressing the article in the LMT about promoting Laredo. I said we need a local and out of town solution for addressing marketing Laredo. I did say, and stand by it, that there is very little to do in this town that would bring numbers to Laredo that would require building a new convention center (one of the bullet points in the LMT Business Section by the business editor). I did repeat some of this in the last 20 minute segment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading and for your comments. In full disclosure, I voted against the LEC and the new baseball park. And I admit, I still feel that we are not getting the full story on the way the LEA is being run from the city. So I guess when I hear the LEA so much,I have to comment. Also, I think B&B (Bowlin & Barrera) should stick to recommendations about how to bring about change instead of lobbying for PMDG. If giving PMDG the contract is worthwhile because of the multiplier effect-then I think they should show us just how much of an effect the last contract they got ($300,000) produced, via the multiplier effect, for the benefit of Laredo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incidentally, Anon, I think you're wrong about not being able to find enough English speaking people to run the park. Many of them might just prefer to speak Spanish instead. I believe our schools are failing to teach as much English as they could be. but I think you're premise is way off the mark. In the meantime, McAllen does continue to eat our "lonche".

    ReplyDelete