|Laredo Air Army Field 1942-1945|
Laredo Army Air Field was on U.S. highways 59 and 81 near Laredo in Webb County. Laredo Army Air Field began operations as a World War II military installation in November 1942; it included a gunnery range and flexible gunnery school. The field became inactive in late 1945, and the property reverted to the city of Laredo, which used it as a municipal airport in 1950.
The base was reactivated and renamed Laredo Air Force Base in April 1952 to provide basic flight training for jet pilots, including pilot trainees from twenty-four countries. It was closed permanently in 1973. It is now the Laredo International Airport.
From the Laredo Air Army Blog