Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Occupy Laredo movement starts to take shape

From Occupy Laredo's Facebook page:

Occupy Laredo is in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street and Occupy Together around the world. This is a NON VIOLENT protest against corruption and greed across the nation.

Currently in the US, the top 1% of the population control the majority of the nation's wealth while the rest of the 99% struggle to get by. They have driven the US economy into the ground while benefiting from the US tax payer sponsored-bailout without any accountability to the public. Those corporate elite have driven the housing and jobs crises that have put so many Americans out of work and out... of their homes. Abroad they drive Free Trade policy that has ruined local economies and driven poor people out of their country and to the US in search of a living.

Inspired by the Occupy Wall Street protests that continue in NY, where what began as hundreds of out of work college graduates turned into thousands of protesters from all walks of life, Occupy Laredo brings those same issues, as well as South Texas' unique set of challenges to the growing national movement.

While no one set of demands are set forth, the growing occupy movement is progressing with One resounding No to a corporate driven society and democracy, and increasing inequality in the US that is destroying both our communities and the earth. At the same time, our many Yesses advocate for freedom, liberty, equality, democracy, the protection of the earth and for the dignity of all its inhabitants.

No comments:

Post a Comment