Friday, September 23, 2011

Study links obesity to not smoking

"you gotta go back to smoking man, I mean look at you!"

It's no secret that if you look hard enough, you're likely to find a study that suits your point of view. Well, not that I was looking but I heard on good old AM radio yesterday and again today that increased obesity rates in the US may be linked to not smoking. The US obesity rate increased 100 per cent over the last 20 years or so from 15 percent to the current 30 percent. Apparently, those behind the questionable study are blaming the drop in smoking rates among Americans for the rise in obesity.

Well, sadly, there's a lot of younger Americans that can be classified as being obese and frankly most of them were not even born when the previous study was made. So, are we to believe that these teenagers smoked as infants, toddlers or pre-schoolers and then quit? 

I heard about this so-called study on 55 KTSA out of San Antonio but surprisingly, I couldn't find anything on the Internet. Something tells me that the tobacco companies might be all behind this. I mean who else would try to spin "not smoking" as a danger to public health?

3 comments:

  1. Well, if you're spending money on cigarettes, and gasoline to get around, you don't have any money left for food.

    Coincidentally, I have a friend who smokes quite a bit and he eats very little throughout the day. It's scary how little he eats.

    Keyrose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to smoke and now am fat. However, it had more to do with Danny's menu than quitting smoking. I also quit drinking beer, but that did not cause a weight loss. Again, Danny' crunchy beef tacos.

    Some say I should be studied...oh well.

    ReplyDelete